Well, the release notes for this one are immense. I mean, really really immense. At the risk of seeming terse, I’m just largely going to point you to those, because the fixes and tweaks are all over the place and I’m running really short on time, anyway. But, some of the most exciting points:
- Lots of refinements to the galaxy map and other parts of the interface.
- The guardians scale much better based on the AI difficulty levels. The prior sole way these functioned is now considered difficulty 8, for the very hardcore subset. Rejoice, rejoice! 😉
- Some other bugs that made things too hard also were fixed.
- The achievements and the high scores windows are now in place.
- A new music track for the base game, called “The Next Chapter,” is now in. That’s the last one for 4.0!
- For those who had been fussing about starfield density, this release should be pleasing.
- A variety of bugfixes, including making sure flak isn’t a death squad.
- Making mouse wheel zoom function again for people with really low sensitivity mouse wheels.
This is a standard update that you can download through the
in-game updater itself, if you already have 3.701 or later. When you
launch the game, you’ll see the notice of the update having been found
if you’re connected to the Internet at the time. If you don’t have
3.701 or later, you can download the windows installer for 3.711, or the OSX installer for 3.712. Once you do an in-game update, they’ll both be on the latest version, despite starting at slightly different versions.